ISO 22000:2005 requires that you design and document a Food Safety Management System (FSMS).
The standard contains the following checklist:-
- Having an overall Food Safety Policy for your Organization, developed by top management.
- Setting objectives that will drive your company’s efforts to comply with this policy.
- Planning and designing a management system and documenting the system.
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system.
- Establishing a group of qualified individuals to make up a Food Safety Team.
- Defining communication procedures to ensure effective communication with important contacts outside the company (regulatory, customers, suppliers and others) and for effective internal communication.
- Having an emergency plan
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance of the FSMS
- Providing adequate resources for the effective operation of the FSMS including appropriately trained and qualified personnel, sufficient infrastructure and appropriate work environment to ensure food safety
- Following HACCP/ISO 22000:2005 principles
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of product
- Establishing a corrective action system and control of nonconforming product
- Maintaining a documented procedure for handling withdrawal of product
- Controlling monitoring and measuring devices
- Establishing and maintaining and internal audit program
Continually updating and improving the FSFM